Penelope and Coco shoe from Sarca

POST-HOLIDAY SALES: Black Friday suddenly seems like child’s play. Beginning December 26, Old Town’s Cityblue Apparel & Denim (1444 N. Wells St.) and Lake Forest’s CB (662 N. Western Ave.) offer fall and winter items for up to 80 percent off. We’re talking Splendid, Cheap Monday, and DL1961 at Cityblue and Theory, Helmut Lang, and MM6 by Maison Martin Margiela at CB. Deals run through January or until the racks are fully ravaged. Ikram (15 E. Huron St.) begins its hotly anticipated semiannual sale on January 2, with designer duds marked down 40 percent. Remaining items will drop to 60 percent off in February and 75 percent off in March. Nearly everything—save for Chanel and other discount-proof merch—is included.

FASHION EVENT: Fancy yourself a fashion critic? West Town boutique Vile and Valiant (1359 W. Grand Ave.) is calling indie designers to submit their best work for display at the store. From January 10 to 19, shoppers will vote for their favorite; the winner pockets $1,000.

SHOES/ACCESSORIES: Score 40 percent off apparel, accessories, and shoes at Sarca (710 N. Wabash Ave.), beginning January 7. Shop luxe labels like Jerome C. Rousseau, Heidi Merrick, and IRO while the getting’s good.

WEDDING SHOW: Dream of serving alcoholic cupcakes or ginger–passion fruit snow cones at your wedding? Mingle with far-from-average vendors at Indie Wed ( on February 2 at the Ravenswood Event Center (4043 N. Ravenswood Ave.).


Photograph: Courtesy of Penelope and Coco