Kanela Breakfast Club is one of those places where waiting in line for the morning meal is part of the fun. But just in case you are not in the mood, or if you simply get a kick out of trying your hand at something you liked out in resto world, Karl W. Thomalla, the KBC chef, thinks this is the ticket for a tasty omelet at home.
Spicy Feta Omelet
3 eggs, whisked thoroughly with a dash of half and half
1 oz. diced red onion
1 oz. diced Fresno pepper (you may substitute jalapeño or serrano pepper)
1 oz. diced tomato
3 oz. tyrokafteri (spicy whipped feta cheese) – recipe follows
½ lb feta cheese
1 pepper (mild to hot depending on preference)
1 oz. clarified butter
Salt and pepper to taste
Preparation of Omelet
• Combine eggs, onion, Fresno pepper, and diced tomato in a medium bowl. Beat until well blended.
• Lightly coat a 9-inch nonstick skillet with clarified butter. Heat over medium heat.
• Pour egg mixture into skillet. Cook until bottom is lightly browned and firm, about 5-6 minutes.
• With a spatula, flip the omelet to the other side and cook 3 minutes more. Transfer omelet to a platter.
Preparation of Tyrokafteri
• Using a fork, crumble the feta into small pieces
• Sauté the pepper until the skin is lightly browned. Remove the stem and discard, and chop the pepper into very small pieces.
• Using a mortar and pestle, add the cheese to the pepper and mash until smooth.
• Place the pepper stuffed with tyrokafteri atop your omelet.
Kanela Breakfast Club 3231 N. Clark St., 773-248-1622
Chef: Karl W. Tomalla