NO ONE WANTS TO BE DEFEATED The experimental theatre troupe Superamas
presents its Michael Jackson–inflected take on Napoleon at the MCA.
Don’t-miss picks for Wed 09.22.10 through Tue 09.28.10:
classical Music Now
ALSO THIS WEEK: Hear another Bates opus, Music from Underground Spaces, inspired by subterranean faults, when Hubbard Street Dance Chicago sets the music to movement in Alejandro Cerrudo’s Deep Down Dos, part of the troupe’s fall engagement, Sep 30–Oct 3 at the Harris.
FREEBIES OF THE WEEK
galleries Artist-run Spaces Bike Tour
Two things that go together like paint and canvas? Artists and bikes. Spin through a selection of artist-run galleries on a Saturday-morning bike tour organized by the Hyde Park Art Center.
GO: Oct 2 at 11. Hyde Park Art Center, 5020 S Cornell. RSVP to email@example.com
WHAT I’M DOING THIS WEEKEND
Up next in our series of weekend plans from notable, in-the-know locals (a.k.a. people we like): Audrey Niffenegger, who’s a household name—at least in bookish households—thanks to the widespread success of her novels The Time Traveler’s Wife and Her Fearful Symmetry. Here in Chicago, however, many know her for her prints and drawings (more on those below) and her graphic novels (those, too)—endeavors that are occupying a significant chunk of her weekend:
“My weekends aren’t all that leisurely. This weekend I have three events, and I am having brunch with a blogger. Because I am out and about so much, the thing I do for fun is stay home and read. At the moment I am happily finishing John Crowley‘s four-book series AEgypt, and I am planning to go and see my friend Michael Ferris’s show at Packer Schopf Gallery. His work is amazing.”
• Get Niffenegger’s autograph when she signs copies of her new graphic novel, The Night Bookmobile, at the Old Orchard Barnes & Noble on Oct 1
• Or ask her a question when she participates in the panel discussion “Contemporary Authors and the Artistic Process,” Oct 2 at Intuit
• Or seize a second chance to chat her up later that day when she signs copies of The Night Bookmobile Oct 2 at Chicago Comics
• Browse Niffenegger’s latest artistic output in the exhibition Seeing in the Dark, at Printworks through Oct 16
• Read our profile of Niffenegger from Chicago’s October 2009 issue
Superamas, Empire. Photo by: Giannina Urmeneta Ottiker