A Fresh Take on Consignment
Even though Divine Consign (111 N. Oak Park Ave., Oak Park; 810 North Blvd., Oak Park; 708-386-3366, divineconsignoakpark.com) opened at the height of the economic recession, when many other Chicagoland shops were closing, the Oak Park home boutique found a niche. The secret? Working with the economy rather than against it. “There has been a fundamental shift in the way that people look at shopping and at furnishing their homes,” says the owner, Kellie Scott, 41, who left a career as a partner in a law firm. Divine Consign brings together furniture of all styles in one unpretentious place, where contemporary brands such as Henredon and Habersham are stocked alongside Room & Board and Ethan Allen. As a way to keep things moving, Scott says that the store obtains 20 to 30 new items every day, causing the consigners and the shoppers to become more active participants. “Sometimes the guys will be bringing a piece through the door and someone will buy it before it hits the floor.” Prices range from less than $30 for small accents to $3,500 for a (now sold) 9-foot-tall, 13-foot-wide Habersham armoire (list price was $15,000). On a recent visit, we found a Stickley Eastwood chair ($1,709), a brown leather sectional ($1,499.99), a walnut roll-top desk ($719.99), and a Formica dining table ($179.99) with matching diner-style vinyl and chrome chairs ($79.99). –Rebecca Little
Top Sales This Week
Artropolis (artropolischicago.com), the annual art, antiques, and culture fair, showcases galleries, dealers, and artists from 16 countries, Friday, April 30th through Monday, May 3rd at The Merchandise Mart (222 Merchandise Mart Plaza; 312-527-3701). The event encompasses Art Chicago (artchicago.com), NEXT (nextartfair.com), and the Merchandise Mart International Antiques Fair. Tickets—$20 for one day or $25 for multi-day pass—are available at artropolischicago.com.
Shop In Chicago features jewelry, clothing, and accessories from more than a dozen Chicago designers on Saturday, May 1st at the Park Hyatt Chicago (800 N. Michigan Ave.). The free event also includes complimentary makeup applications, and a raffle. For more information, visit raymiproductions.com; reservations required.
The Best of the Rest
- More than 20 Downtown Glen Ellyn shops participate in Couples Night Out on Friday, April 30th from 6 to 10 p.m. Guests receive coupons, selected complimentary services, drinks, light appetizers, music, and more. Register at downtownglenellyn.com or buy tickets from The Bike Shop (495 N. Main St., Glen Ellyn; 630-793-4030, thebikeshopge.com), AliKat (499 Pennsylvania Ave., Glen Ellyn; 630-469-5760, alikatinc.net), The Prince’s Table (530 Duane St., Glen Ellyn; 630-469-4150, theprincestable.com), and Bundles of Books & Gifts (560 Crescent Blvd., Glen Ellyn; 630-545-0069, bundlesofbooks.us).
- Chic Gems Etc. (888-801-8265, chicgemsetc.com) offers an exclusive deal for Sales Check readers through Friday, April 30th. Enter code “CHICSALE” at online checkout to receive $15 off your purchase.
- Enjoy drinks, hors d’oeuvres, and clothing and accessories from more than 20 designers at StyleChicago.com’s FashionChicago 2010 at 233 West Huron Street on Thursday, April 29th from 5 to 9 p.m. Tickets—$15 for general admission and $25 for VIP status with goodie bags—are available at 800-838-3006 or stylechicago.com.
- House of Sole (1237 S. Michigan Ave.; 312-834-0909, houseofsole.net) marks three years with discounts from Friday, April 30th through Sunday, May 2nd. On Saturday, May 1st, guests who spend at least $100 receive a mini manicure or eyebrow threading between 1 and 3 p.m. Also that day, the boutique hosts Stella Blue and Kai Collections jewelry trunk shows.
- Take 30 percent off the newest jewelry line from K. Amato (1229 W. Diversey Pkwy; 312-882-1366, k-amato.com) on Wednesday, April 28th from 4 to 8:30 p.m. Previous collections will also be available for $5 to $30.
- Macy’s (111 N. State St.; 312-781-4884, macys.com) holds a fashionista party with music, drinks, free samples, and 20 percent off event purchases on Thursday, April 29th at 5:30 p.m. RSVP at 800-329-8667.
- Save 20.1 percent on purchases at Hubba-Hubba (3309 N. Clark St.; 773-477-1414, hubbahubbachicago.com) through Friday, April 30th.
- Lifebook Lounge (1200 W. Lake St.; 312-204-7307) features a beauty workshop with the celebrity make-up artist and Chicago native Sam Fine (samfine.com) on May 1st at 1 p.m. Tickets, $150, at brushesbyviola.com.
- Leslie Hindman Auctioneers (1338 W. Lake St.; 312-280-1212, lesliehindman.com) holds its fine furniture and decorative arts auction Sunday, May 2nd through Tuesday, May 4th. Previews are on Wednesday, April 28th; Thursday, April 29th; and Friday, April 30th from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Saturday, May 1st from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Now in business for 18 years, ENAZ (444 Central Ave., Highland Park, 847-433-6466; 309 Happ Rd., Northfield, 847-446-5551; enaz.com) offers shoppers an $18 gift card for every $150 purchase through Friday, April 30th.
Closings and Relocations
Sofia Vintage (312-640-0878, sofiavintage.com) opens its new location at 72 East Oak Street on Thursday, April 29th.
Attention Sales Check readers: We want your feedback! Why do you subscribe to this newsletter? What do you love about it? What do you hate? Are there sales and shopping events at Chicagoland stores that we’re missing? Please send your tips, complaints, and comments to email@example.com.