Girls Just Want to Have Fun
Tickets are still available for Glamorama at The Chicago Theatre (175 N. State St.; 312-902-1500) on Aug. 22nd at 8 p.m. The ‘80s-themed show, called Pop Candy Arcade, features performances by Cyndi Lauper and the rapper M.C. Hammer (back from bankruptcy)—so bust out the purple eye shadow and tease up those rooster bangs. The runway fashion show features Marc Jacobs, Donna Karan Collection, CNC Costume National, Just Cavalli, SportMax, Tibi, and Tommy Hilfiger, among others. The after-party—as always on the 7th floor of Macy’s (111 State St.)—will feature music videos from the ‘80s, neon-lit walls, a game lounge with “Guitar Hero” and classics such as “Pacman” and “Donkey Kong,” breakdancers, and people handing out Fun Dip, Pop Rocks, and Nerds. Tickets start at $50; a portion of the proceeds goes to the Art Institute of Chicago.
Top Sales This Week
Chasalla (106 E. Oak St.; 312-640-1940) holds a One Night Stand Sale Party on Aug. 20th from 5 to 9 p.m. An additional 10 percent off already reduced merchandise marked from 30 to 70 percent off from D&G, Just Cavalli, Versace Jeans Couture, Jean Paul Gaultier, and Diesel, among others. New mens’ denim is marked down 10 percent; sunglasses by Gucci, Cavalli, and Versace marked down 10 percent; and belts at 20 percent off. Casual wear starts at $75 and evening attire starts at $500. (Note that extra 10 percent off effectively offsets the city’s sale tax.)
The Best of the Rest
- le Dress (1741 W. Division St.; 773-697-9899) hosts an Au Revoir sale from Aug. 22nd through 24th, offering up to 60 percent off summer merchandise, shoes, dresses and accessories including selections from A.B.S., Shoshanna, and Trina Turk.
- Check out the new line Brochu Walker (Lisa Brochu and Lauren Walker) at p.45 (1643 N. Damen Ave.; 773-862-4523) on Aug. 22nd from 5 to 7 p.m. and Aug. 23rd from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. featuring their luxury cashmere.
- Jake has consolidated all sale merchandise from its three locations to its Southport outpost (3740 N. Southport Ave.; 773-929-5253), with up to 75 percent off spring merchandise. Through Aug. 31st.
- Montauk Sofa (401 N. Wells St.; 312-951-5688), a carbon-neutral company that uses eco-friendly materials, holds a summer sample sale through Aug. 23rd. A Stanley sectional is marked from $12,600 to $9,500 and a Merrick sofa for $7,800 to $5,800.
- Neiman Marcus (737 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-642-5900) offers a gift-with-purchase promotion through Aug. 23rd. Receive a purple plastic-jelly PDA cover with any $250 purchase.
- Zozo for Kids (5137 N. Clark St.; 773-506-6120) hosts a photo charity event on Aug. 23rd from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. For a $50 donation, kids can get a mini-session with photographer Olivia Leigh and receive a 8-by-10 print. Additional prints are available for purchase. Proceeds from the photo shoots and 10 percent of the shop’s profits from the day will be donated to 826 CHI, a non-profit children’s writing and tutoring center. Cash or check only.
- The Wicker Park/Bucktown sidewalk sale runs Aug. 23rd from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Aug. 24th from 2 to 5 p.m. Participating stores include Clothes Minded (1735 N. Damen Ave.), Helen Yi (1645 N. Damen Ave.), Penelope’s (1913 W. Division St.), and the Silver Room (1442 N. Milwaukee Ave.). The sale coincides with the Bucktown Arts Fest.
- Amazing Space (1105 Chicago Ave.; 708-383-3333) holds a store-and-alley sale on Aug. 23rd from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- FlavorFest, an all-natural food festival hosted by Whole Foods Market, offers free organic food and drinks, cooking demonstrations, and entertainment. The fest runs August 23rd from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. and 24th from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. at 1130 W. Webster Ave.
- The American Craft Exposition features artwork from more than 150 artisans on August 22nd through 24th at Northwestern University. Three day admission is $15. Call 847-570-5096 for more information.