A Good Pair
Two suburban stores have opened a shared space in Bucktown at 1858 North Damen Avenue: Kinga European Children’s Shoes (1858 N. Damen Ave., 773-342-7724; 777 N. York Rd., Hinsdale, 630-321-1399; 1891 Tower Dr., Glenview, 847-724-1049, kingashoes.com) and Babydreams (1858 N. Damen Ave., 773-486-9445; 448 Central Ave., Highland Park, 847-432-4704). Kinga, which first opened in Hinsdale seven years ago, has opened its first city boutique in the former Red 21 space. “We had a lot of clients in the city who wanted us to open there,” says Kinga Kosek, the Polish born owner whose father was in the shoe business in Poland. “Every kid should have a good pair of quality shoes that will shape and mold their feet. If a shoe has no arch, what’s the point of even wearing it?” When she had her son eight years ago, she imported European shoes with arch support for him and people stopped her on the street to ask where she found them, and the idea for the store was born. She imports from Italy, Poland, Holland, Germany, and Sweden; the shoes all have orthopedic arches and breathable soles. Find brands such as Prada for kids; Geox, the Italian brand; City Shoe; Lelli Kelly; and Naturino. We saw a pair of cute red Mary Janes from Freaks ($87) and little Titanitos shoes adorned with a creature face on the toe ($38). Kosek acknowledges that European shoes can be expensive, but she buys in bulk to keep prices under $100 per pair. “People should invest in one or two good pairs of shoes that support little feet,” she says. Sizes range from infant pre-walkers to women’s size 9. Babydreams shares the space and is chock-full of adorable baby gifts, clothing, layette sets, and the re-purposed furniture from Turn the Tables, such as the dresser and hutch ($1,200) that has been painted white and pink with chandelier teardrops. Clothes run newborn to 24 months, such as a cozy sweater from Angel Dear ($48), graphic tees for kids like a tie-dyed shirt with a Popeye screen ($40), baby yoga pants ($38 to $42), and a pink handmade sweater ($158) adorned with a knitted Elmo on the front and back. You’ll also find familiar brands such as Kissy Kissy, Cotton Caboodle, and Gund, as well as rattles, burp cloths, toys, puzzles, and stuffed animals. The shop can also make gift baskets for shower gifts.
Top Sales This Week
The group warehouse sale Cheap Thrills, led by local boutique Eskell, runs March 1st from noon to 6 p.m. at Around the Coyote (1935 ½ W. North Ave.; 773-342-6777), with 20 to 75 percent off merchandise from Tangerine, Una Mae’s Freak Boutique, the online boutique Language, and Brooklyn-based Hayden Harnett handbags, among others. No RSVP necessary, but the organizers request that those who plan on coming email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Six north suburban boutiques have joined together for a boutique card promotion. Stop into one of the six stores to pick up the card and receive 20 percent off regularly priced merchandise at the six shops from March 2nd through 8th. The stores are Marie Parie (512 Main St., Evanston; 847-492-9094); Peek-a-Boutique (2750 Dundee Rd., Northbrook; 847-272-7133); Randoons (962½ Green Bay Rd., Winnetka; 847-784-1890); Jump ‘n’ Style (2737 Pfingsten Rd., Glenview; 847-291-6877); Cheeky Fine Lingerie (658 Central Ave., Highland Park; 847-433-4900); and Hot Mama (2670 Navy Blvd., Glenview, 847-486-1060; 1608 Sherman Ave., Evanston, 847-905-0236).
The Best of the Rest
- Macy’s (111 N. State St.; 312-781-1000) holds its annual bridal sample sale on March 1st from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the 9th floor events center. Prices start at $199, with 50 to 90 percent off designer gowns and accessories from Vera Wang, Reem Acra, Romona Keveza, and Justina McCaffrey. Bridesmaid dresses start at $49.97. Customers who purchase a bridal gown at the sale receive 10 percent off accessory and bridesmaid purchases. Sales are final.
- Sawbridge Studios (153 W. Ohio St., 312-828-0055; 1015 Tower Ct., Winnetka, 847-441-2441) holds a one-day sale on March 1st from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. to celebrate its 15th anniversary, offering 15 percent off the entire store, excluding consigned pieces.
- Through Feb. 29th at Gray (1361 N. Wells St., 312-573-0750; 821 Chestnut Ct., Winnetka, 847-446-5650), take $10 off for every $100 spent.
- To prepare for its move to the Vintage Pine space at 904 West Blackhawk Street, C’est Moi (2129 N. Damen Ave.; 773-269-2116) hosts a moving sale through Feb. 28th, with sales on brands such as Pine Cone Hill and Company C.
- Lissa on Maxwell (729 W. Maxwell St.; 312-563-9470) offers a final fall and winter clearance sale with discounts up to 70 percent.
- Jade (1557 N. Milwaukee Ave.; 773-342-5233) officially closes its doors on Feb. 29th, so stop in for deep discounts on jewelry, dresses, and jeans. Markdowns are 60 to 90 percent off until Friday the 29th, when the shop offers 90 percent off the remaining items.
- Want to learn how to submit T-shirt designs to Threadless (3011 N. Broadway; 773-525-8640)? The store holds a submission workshop on Feb. 27th from 6 to 7 p.m., offering tips on requirements and guidelines for submission, with time to work on designs in the gallery. Bring a laptop, as computers are limited. Walk-ins are welcome, or RSVP to email@example.com.
- To celebrate the grand opening of the newly revamped men’s store, Akira Men’s (1910 W. North Ave.; 312-423-6693) holds a party on Feb. 28th at all Akira stores on North Avenue—including the women’s store (1837 W. North Ave.), men’s footwear (1922 W. North Ave.), women’s footwear (1849 W. North Ave.)—offering entertainment, food, and deejays from 6 to 10 p.m., 20 percent off purchases, and complimentary gifts with purchase.