New Era, New Outfit
Chicago women lucky enough to get tickets to today’s inaugural festivities may have found their eveningwear at LuLu’s at the Belle Kay (3862 N. Lincoln Ave.; 773-404-5858, lulusbellekay.com), a North Center boutique focused on vintage clothing and accessories. “As soon as Barack Obama was elected, people started coming in looking for gowns,” says the boutique’s owner, Laurie Demma Davis, who reports that she has sold six dresses, along with jewelry, destined for inauguration events. The gowns, ranging from $350 to $575, include an off-the-shoulder 1951 silk gold brocade; a 1960 Malcolm Starr white brocade with black velvet stripes covered in rhinestones; and a 1960 ivory knit from British Hong Kong, coated in pearls, sequins, and rhinestones. A pearl-and-rhinestone bib necklace ($150) as well as a 1960 bib necklace with matching earrings ($250) will also be worn in Washington, D.C. Opening her 1,000-square-feet shop in 2003, Davis, a former personal shopper and stylist at Marshall Fields, wanted to offer formal evening gowns and cocktail dresses that stand out in a crowd for less than $1,000. “I can only wish that someday Mrs. Obama will be wearing a gorgeous piece of vintage jewelry or a gown from LuLu’s,” Davis says.
Top Sales This Week
The Whirlwind in Bucktown runway show features the latest fashions by Apartment Number 9, Hejfina, p.45, and Robin Richman at the EcoLogic Lofts (2023 W. Fullerton Ave.), Jan. 23rd from 7 to 9 p.m.; show starts at 8 p.m. The free event includes snacks and drinks from California Pizza Kitchen, Lindt Chocolate, Blue Heron Wine Brands, and SKYY Vodka. The first 100 guests will receive complimentary gift bags. RSVP at rsvp.ecologiclofts.com by Jan. 21st.
On Jan. 23 from 6 to 10 p.m., the Andersonville Chamber of Commerce hosts Andersonville on Sale, with savings on 30 Andersonville stores and restaurants—including 30 to 60 percent off fall and winter apparel at Zozo for Kids (5137 N. Clark St.; 773-506-6120, zozoforkids.com) and 25 percent off all furniture at bâan home (5053 N. Clark St.; 773-905-1228, baan-home.com). For a full listing of stores and deals, visit andersonville.org.
The Armitage Halsted Webster Merchants Association (the shops in Lincoln Park along Armitage and Webster avenues and Halsted Street) hosts Lincoln Park Shopping Stroll, offering sales, discounts, and refreshments in more than 20 of the area’s shops—including 50 to 75 percent off select items at 1154 Lill Studio (904 W. Armitage Ave.; 773-477-5455, 1154lill.com)—during regular store hours Jan. 23rd through 25th.
The Best of the Rest
- Lake View boutiques Krista K (3458 N. Southport Ave.; 773-248-1967, kristak.com) and Krista K Maternity + Baby (3530 N. Southport Ave.; 773-248-4477) hold their semiannual Shop Around the Clock sale, offering additional savings—up to 50 percent off—on sale merchandise Jan. 24th. Early birds get the best deals on discounted clothing and accessories, but everyone enjoys 20 percent off full-price items, including Prps jeans and Lana Jewelry, all day. Doors open at 8 a.m.
- In light of Obama taking office, Eva May (5643 N. Ashland Ave.; 773-907-0709, evamay.com) hosts an “Out with the Old, In with the New” sale with 10 to 50 percent off everything from hats and scarves to bags and art through Jan. 31st. Customers who say “Go Obama” receive an additional 10 percent off their entire purchase.
- Beta Boutique (773-276-0905, betaboutique.com) holds its semiannual Stacked Rack sale at its temporary Wicker Park space (1552 N. Milwaukee Ave., 2nd floor loft) with 40 to 90 percent off women and men’s designer clothing Jan. 24th from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Jan. 25th from 12 to 5 p.m.
- As a way to reduce inventory before moving to a new space next month, Kate Boggiano (kateboggiano.com) hosts an online sale with up to 75 percent off all woman’s clothing, including clearance merchandise, through Jan. 31st.
- Style Chicago hosts its Resolutions 2009 event at the W Chicago (644 N. Lake Shore Dr.; 312-943-9200) Jan. 28th from 6 to 9 p.m., providing complimentary cocktails, hors d’oeuvres, and mini-spa services. VIP goodie bag tickets, $45. Regular tickets, $35. Purchase in advance at stylechicago.com or by calling 800-838-3006.
- Chinese antique furniture and artifacts shop Pagoda Red (773-235-1188, pagodared.com) holds Big Ox Warehouse sale in honor of the upcoming Chinese New Year, offering 20 to 80 percent off its collection of scholars’ stones, armoires, chests, chairs, artifacts, and provincial tables at its warehouse at 1201 West Washington Street.
- Simone’s Boutique (1060 Gage St., Winnetka; 847-446-9966, simonesboutique.com) hosts its Weekend Winter White sale with discounts on designer dresses, coats, pants, skirts, and blouses Jan. 23rd and 24th. Customers will receive 50 percent of their first purchase and 60 percent off each additional item.
- French-inspired boutique The Left Bank (1155 W. Webster Ave.; 773-929-7422, leftbankjewelry.com) launches a new bridal shoe by dance instructor Angela Nuran at its wedding shoe trunk show Jan. 24th and 25th from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Call the shop in advance to schedule a personal fitting appointment.
- Chic Gems, Etc. (312-602-2561, chicgemsetc.com) features an online sale with 40 percent off all handmade jewelry from Jan. 20th through 26th. Use coupon code “winter” at checkout.
- The Roscoe Village boutique for expectant mothers Kickin’ (2142 W Roscoe St.; 773-281-6577, kickinmaternity.com) holds an informational prenatal acupuncture event Jan. 24th from 9:30 to 11 a.m., entitling attendees to 20 percent off their entire purchase.
- Perchance (3512 N. Southport Ave.; 773-244-1300, perchanceboutique.com) hosts its semiannual sale with up to 70 percent off designer clothing, handbags, shoes, boots, accessories, and jewelry through Jan. 25th.
- Macy’s (111 N. State St.; 312-781-1000, macys.com) hosts the Bara Luxe and Bara Champagne (baraluxe.com) trunk show, featuring the spring 2009 collections of wedding gowns from Marimo USA, Jan. 23rd from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m., Jan. 24th from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., and Jan. 25th from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m., in the fourth floor bridal salon. To schedule a fitting appointment, call 312-781-3545.
- Neiman Marcus (737 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-642-5900) holds its Last Call sale with up to 75 percent off a selection of fall and winter items Jan. 22nd through 28th.