Don’t be surprised to see a camel strolling down North Avenue this Saturday, July 21. It’s just part of the Turkish bazaar-themed party put on by Akira (akirachicago.com for stores) from 1 to 8 p.m. to celebrate its tenth anniversary. Also on the bill: belly dancers, a fire breather, a fortuneteller, and, yep, camel rides—because when this local mini-chain of men’s and women’s boutiques picks a theme, it commits. The festivities take place at Akira’s three Bucktown stores, which throw in discounts: at Akira Women (1814 W. North Ave., 773-489-0818), buy two items, and get one free (exclusions may apply); at Akira Footwear (1849 W. North Ave., 773-342-8684), get 20 percent off throughout the store; and at Akira Men (1910 W. North Ave., 312-423-6693), buy one item, and get one half off (other exclusions may apply).
Top Sales This Week
Chicago is home to hundreds of clothing and accessories designers and independent boutiques. Sample some of that talent at the sixth annual Chicago Sidewalk Sale (Daley Plaza, 50 W. Washington St., cityofchicago.org/dcase) this Tuesday, July 17 and Wednesday, July 18 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Browse the wares of 40 independent designers and boutiques, including the apparel designer Agga B, the jewelry artist Rach B, and the footwear designer Mohop Shoes.
Florodora (330 S. Dearborn St., 312-212-8860, florodora.com) and its sister boutique Florodora Shoes (348 S. Dearborn St., 312-212-8860) hold their semi-annual “Scandal Sale” through Saturday, July 28. Both stores mark down everything; regular-priced items are reduced by 10 to 50 percent and clearance items are discounted by 75 percent. Score deals such as a printed silk butterfly-sleeve dress by Anastasia Chatzka ($193, once $385) or three-tone suede slingbacks by Chie Mihara ($156, once $358).
The Best of the Rest
- The roving designer sample sale Re.Stock (restockshop.com) commemorates its third anniversary on Thursday, July 19 from 6 to 9 p.m. at 1043 West Madison Street. Help yourself to complimentary treats and cocktails while you shop for discounted pieces from high-end designers (which, in the past, have included Tom Ford, Valentino, and Jill Stuart).
- Bocce ball, bags, and beverages? We’re in. The eyewear brand Warby Parker (warbyparker.com) hosts an activities-packed pop-up shop from 5:30 to 9 p.m. on Saturday, July 21 in the outdoor space next to Big Star (1537 N. Damen Ave.). Play games or catch a performance by the Record Low while snacking on complimentary picnic fare and perusing eyeglasses, sunnies, and monocles. That's right, monocles.
- More than 60 boutiques in Wicker Park, Bucktown, and Ukrainian Village are taking to the streets for the Wicker Park Bucktown Chamber of Commerce Summer Sizzle Sidewalk Sale (wickerparkbucktown.com) on Saturday, July 21 and Sunday, July 22. (Food trucks also roam the neighborhoods through the weekend to offer shopping sustenance.)
- Take a stroll through Lincoln Park this weekend during the Armitage Halsted Webster Association’s 17th Annual Sidewalk Sale (armitageshopping.com) on Saturday, July 21 and Sunday, July 22. Stores in the ‘hood offer discounts such as 50 percent off select items at The Blue Jeans Bar, 20 to 80 percent off all hair products at Salon 1800, and up to 60 percent off brands including House of Harlow and Amanda Uphchard at Shop 857.
- Greed is good this week at Perchance Kids and both locations of the women’s boutique Perchance (perchanceboutique.com for stores). Now through Sunday, July 22, the shops hold a “More is More” sale: Buy one item to get 10 percent off your purchase; two to score 20 percent off; three to bag 30 percent off; four for 40 percent off; and, you guessed it, five for 50 percent off.
- Now through Tuesday, August 14, Apartment Number 9 (1804 N. Damen Ave., 773-395-2999, apartmentnumber9.com) hosts a pop-up shop for BucketFeet (bucketfeet.com), a footwear brand known for cool collaborations with global artists.
- The interior design company Linly Designs (445 W. Ogden Ave., Clarendon Hills, 630-769-5099, linlydesigns.com) marks ten years in business with a handful of deals: 40 percent off seasonal merchandise; 30 percent off furniture and artwork; 25 percent off pillows, throws, towels, bedding, table runners, and area rugs; 20 percent off lamps, chandeliers, and accessories; and 15 percent off floral arrangements.
Spex in Roscoe Village (2154 W. Roscoe St., 773-525-2022) holds its grand opening party Thursday, July 19 from 5 to 8 p.m., with live music, light bites, a BeauSoleil eyewear trunk show, and swag bags valued at $100 for the first 25 guests.