Live Green, Young Grasshopper
Grasshopper 510 (1944 N. Damen Ave.; 773-292-0510), a new lifestyle and gift shop in Bucktown, takes its name from the green insect and pairs it with the wavelength measurement in nanometers for the color green. Each item in the store is made from recycled, repurposed, sustainable, or organic materials. Co-owners (and husband and wife) Mike Roberts and Jean Taylor researched each product, and carry only those that their reduce the world’s manufacturing footprint. Home accents include a beautiful tray of interlocking brushed steel circles ($120); pillows adorned with Chicago landmarks such as the Sears Tower and Marina City; a brown-and-white Zebra-print blanket ($150); and coasters made from recycled road signs ($20 each; $75 for four.) The baby section is stocked with goodies perfect for a shower, including a set of three baby T-shirts in small, medium, and large ($65), an animal alphabet puzzle ($55), and organic cotton shirts ($30). The jewelry selection is the standout here, including pendant necklaces incorporating vintage pottery ($45 to $75), stainless-steel jewelry, and cufflinks made from recycled bottlecaps ($75 for a pair of Goose Island cuffs). We also loved the lamps with recycled glass bases and tin shades ($360 to $450), post-consumer waste wrapping paper ($5 a sheet), and bags made from recycled Brazilian billboards ($85.)
Top Sales This Week
The amazing Guerilla Art and Furniture Truck show returns to Morlen Sinoway (1052 W. Fulton Mkt.; 312-432-0100) on June 10th from 6 to 9 p.m., with artists and furniture designers showcasing their furniture to the public. Visit explorefultonmarket.com for more information.
Shop Lincoln Park’s Tasteful Art on the Avenues where boutiques along Armitage Avenue and Webster Avenue will be showing the works of local artists on June 13th from 5:30 to 8 p.m. A $10 donation benefits Children’s Memorial Hospital. Participating boutiques include: Tabula Tua, All She Wrote, Art Effect, Isabella Fine Lingerie, and Mint Julep. Call 312-533-1256 for more information.
The Best of the Rest
- Blue Tux (1920 N. Damen Ave.; 773-252-3200) holds a sample sale through June 14th with new styles of flats, pumps, and samples priced between $25 and $35 (normally $90 to $140) in colors not usually available to the public.
- Shoe boutique Grace (1917 N. Damen Ave.; 773-384-7223) holds a summer sale, offering 30 percent off most spring and summer merchandise through June 26th.
- ShopGirl (1206 W. Webster; 773-935-7467) hosts a spring sale from June 13th through 16th on regularly priced clothing. Take 10 percent off the first item, 20 percent off the second, and 30 percent off the third. Also take 10 percent off jewelry and up to 75 percent off already reduced items.
- Preview the fall 2008 collection before it arrives in stores at Ralph Lauren (750 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-280-1655) on June 11th from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and June 12th from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Frances Heffernan (810 Elm St., Winnetka; 847-446-2112) holds a trunk show for Dana Rebecca Designs with Chicago-based jewelry designer Dana Levy on June 12th and 13th from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on both days. Her collection is $750 and up.
- Purchasing customers at Michelle Tan (1872 N. Damen Ave.; 773-252-1888) during the month of June can enter a drawing to win a handbag from the designer’s spring/summer 2008 collection.
- Take 30 percent off all spring/summer apparel at Zozo for Kids (5137 N. Clark St.; 773-506-6120) on June 14th and 15th.
- B Boutique (1117 W. Armitage Ave.; 773-665-1102) hosts Barbara Samuels, a member of the Mayor’s Fashion Advisory Council to share shopping and fashion tips for women over 40 on June 12th from 6 to 9 p.m. Call the store to RSVP.
- The Benefit Brow Bar at Bloomingdale’s (900 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-440-4233) opens June 12th from 6 to 8 p.m., offering complimentary brow arches. Call to reserve a place.
- Under the Wire (2210 S. Halsted St.; 312-733-9350) re-opens with a new façade and a new look on June 13th from 6 to 10 p.m., coinciding with the 2nd Fridays walk in Pilsen. The first 50 customers receive a free pair of earrings.
- Barry Alford and Jefferson Hoffman, the duo behind the luxury men’s skin care brand Alford & Hoff, visit Neiman Marcus (737 Michigan Ave.; 312-642-5900 x4020) on June 13th from 1 to 5 p.m. in first floor cosmetics.
- The 59th annual Old Town Art Fair (Lincoln Avenue and Wisconsin Street; 312-337-1938, oldtownartfair.com) runs June 14th and 15th from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., featuring paintings, sculpture, ceramics and more from 260 artists. Admission ranges $5 to $7.
- The 34th Annual Wells Street Art Festival (along North Wells Street between North Avenue and Division Street; 773-868-3010) runs June 14th and June 15th from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. with glass, ceramics, drawings, and paintings from 300 artists. Admission ranges $7 to $10.
- Chicago Fashionista Club, founded by Sarah Radford of Chic Gems, etc. jewelry and Mandy Welch of vfish designs, hosts a shopping event on June 12th from 6 to 9 p.m. at vfish design studios (2008 N. Halsted St.) Shop, win gift certificates, and enjoy wine and snacks. Preview at chicgemsetc.com and vfishdesigns.com.
- Visit Follia restaurant (953 W. Fulton Mkt.; 312-243-2888) to see Fashion Meets Art: Building Unity Through Charitable Threads, a showcase of one-of-a-kind shirts and ties from Beth Lambert of Scarlet Designs and fine artist Suk Ja Kang throughout the month of June. Prices are $2,500 for skits and $200 for ties. A portion of the proceeds will be donated to Chicago Cares.
- Shop Oak Lawn runs June 14th from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on the Village Green (95th and Raymond Avenue, Oak Lawn) with discounts, food, games, and a beanbag tournament.
- Red Dog House (2031 N. Damen Ave.; 773-227-7341) holds Doggy Happy Hours at Joe’s Bar (940 W. Weed St.) in the outdoor beer garden every Wednesday in June from 5 to 8 p.m., with food and drink specials, and treats and raffle prizes from the boutique. Ten percent of sales will be donated to PAWS Chicago. (Dogs allowed on leashes.)