Political Pop-Up Shop
There will be no separation of fashion and politics tonight, when Vogue editor Anna Wintour, designer Rachel Roy, and supermodels Iman and Chanel Iman host Runway to Win, an Obama reelection fundraising event at 6 p.m. at Harpo Studios (110 N. Carpenter St.). More than 20 designers pitched in to create the Obama-themed merch, which includes a crewneck t-shirt by Marc Jacobs ($45), graphic print tote bag by Derek Lam ($75), zip-up hoodie by Alexander Wang ($95), and printed silk scarf by Thakoon Panichgul ($95). Organizers are tight-lipped about tonight’s guest list, but guests at the fundraiser held at the Theory store in New York included Scarlett Johansson, Karolina Kurkova, Tory Burch, and Solange Knowles. Tickets are still available here. The $150 set is sold out, leaving only VIP tickets ($1,000 to $2,500). Not gonna happen? Shop the pop-up from the comfort of your computer at runwaytowin.com.
Top Sales This Week
It’s spring sale time at Penelope's (1913 W. Division St., 773-395-2351, shoppenelopes.com). Shop the Wicker Park boutique in-store or online for 20 to 60 percent off men’s and women’s apparel. We’re talking racks of rompers from DV by Dolce Vita (from $69), men’s jackets by APC and Spiewalk (from $115), and sundresses and skirts by Sessun (from $79).
Would you pay $90,300 for a pair of kicks? Somebody did. Saturday’s release of the Nike Air Yeezy 2, a pair of sneakers designed by Kanye West, was heralded the most anticipated shoe release in recent history. Only a handful of Chicago stores—RSVP Gallery (1753 N. Damen Ave., 773-770-6666, rsvpgallery.com), Succezz (1329 S. Michigan Ave., 312-431-1900, succezzthestore.com), and Saint Alfred (1531 N. Milwaukee Ave., 773-486-7159, stalfred.com)—scored shipments. RSVP Gallery and Succezz auctioned off the limited-edition shoes, and bids reached $2,800 and $4,200, respectively. Saint Alfred, which also held a raffle (and sold the shoes to the winners at the box price of $245), says to keep tabs on their Facebook page to find out if more pairs become available.
The Best of the Rest
- All dresses—more than 200 in all—are 20 percent off this week at Krista K Boutique (3458 N. Southport Ave., 773-248-1967, kristak.com). Shop Rebecca Taylor, Joie, Ella Moss, and more now through Sunday, July 17.
- Save up to 70 percent on summer dresses, separates, and accessories in vibrant prints from Nicole Miller (1419 N. Wells St., 312-664-3532, nicolemiller.com) online and in-store, now through the end of the month.
- Gem Bar’s (1013 W. Webster Ave., 312-492-7548, gembar.com) annual Bridal Sale is happening now through Sunday, June 17. Get 20 percent off one item, 25 percent off two to four items, and 30 percent off five or more items (perfect for brides shopping for bridesmaids’ jewelry). Everything is on sale, including baubles that can be customized with your choice of stones, chains, and charms (regularly $80, on sale $56-$64).
- The merchants on Cook Street and Station Street in downtown Barrington team up to hold their first-ever Summer Wine Walk from 2 to 6 p.m. on Saturday, June 16. Park Avenue Wine Bar will provide a variety of wines at participating merchants such as Mia Sorella, Urban Flair, and Grassroots.
- Enaz in Highland Park (444 Central Ave., 847-433-6466, enaz.com) hosts a trunk show with Elyssa Bass Designs (elyssabassdesigns.com) from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Thursday, June 14. Get 10 percent off the collection of statement earrings, necklaces, bangles, and rings made from colored gemstones and sterling silver dipped in 18- and 22-karat gold vermeil.
- The inaugural Vintage Garage Chicago (5051 N. Broadway, vintagegaragechicago.com) runs from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Sunday, June 17 (and every third Sunday of the month through October). The garage sale is very literally held in a parking structure and will feature between 50 and 75 vendors of vintage. Look for 70s rock t-shirts, vintage Christian Dior ties, loads of costume jewelry from different decades, and vintage furniture. Admission costs $3 at the door.