One More Bead
Find unique beads, stones, and gems from around the world at String A Strand (3446 N. Southport Ave.; 773-248-8002). Offering everything from real coral and variscite to jade and pyrite, the new Lake View boutique arrives seven years after its predecessor in Old Town (1361 N. Wells St.; 312-335-1930, stringastrand.com). “We were approached by the owners of the building,” says Gloria Wolfson, who launched the String A Strand concept in 1971. “They saw our Wells Street location and thought that this kind of retail store would make a good addition to the Southport neighborhood.” Select a strand of pre-grouped stones (from $12), or start from scratch by picking beads from a selection of different shapes, sizes, styles, and colors (from 25 cents per bead). (Both options require a finishing kit with a clasp or toggle for $6.50 and a chain, staring at $2.) The boutique also sells finished pieces, ranging mostly from $30 to $250. “It seems like an area where the shoppers like stuff already put together,” says Wolfson, who designs new pieces during business hours to inspire browsers. Our favorite: a white turquoise stone necklace with one red Lucite rose ($75).
Top Sales This Week
The Design Center at the Merchandise Mart (222 Merchandise Mart Plaza; 800-677-6278, merchandisemartdesigncenter.com/outdoorsamplesale) hosts an outdoor furniture sample sale, featuring up to 75 percent off home furnishings and accessories from more than 20 showrooms, on Thursday, May 12th, and Friday, May 13th, from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.; and Saturday, May 14th, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Meet the Chicago Cubs outfielders Reed Johnson and Tyler Colvin and save 20 percent off everything at The Denim Lounge (2039 W. Roscoe St.; 773-935-2820, thedenimlounge.com) during its new location’s grand opening on Thursday, May 12th, from 6 to 9 p.m. Donate $20 to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals to receive autographs from both athletes and a chance to win a $400 gift certificate to the boutique. RSVP to email@example.com; space is limited.
The Best of the Rest
- The Vintage Bazaar (thevintagebazaar.com) returns with vintage furniture, clothing, and accessories from 50 vendors at 2229 South Halsted Street on Saturday, May 14th, from 12 to 6 p.m. Guests also enjoy treats and drinks.
- Mother’s Day may have passed, but moms still receive 20 percent off Click Flops at Sugarcup Trading (110 N. Marion St., Oak Park; 708-524-5336, sugarcuptrading.com) through Tuesday, May 31st.
- Kickin’ (2142 W. Roscoe St.; 773-281-6577, kickinmaternity.com) hosts a maternity and new mom spring fashion show and bruncheon on Saturday, May 14th, at Turquoise Restaurant (2147 W. Roscoe St.; 773-549-3523, turquoisedining.com). Tickets are $24; call 773-281-6577 to reserve your spot.
- The Left Bank (1155 W. Webster Ave.; 773-929-7422, leftbankjewelry.com) celebrates 16 years with deals and events this month, such as one item for $16 every week. Also, look for custom-made veils and headpieces from Laura Jayne on Saturday, May 14th, and Sunday, May 15th. Ask for a 16th birthday coupon card, which is good for 16 percent off all purchases (except dresses) made on the 16th of every month for the rest of 2011.
- Take 25 percent off all Michael Stars items at Hubba-Hubba (3309 N. Clark St.; 773-477-1414, hubbahubbachicago.com) through Sunday, May 15th.
- Shrine (47 E. Oak St.; 312-675-2105, shrinestyle.com) features complimentary personalized consultations, salon services, hors d’oeuvres, and drinks on Wednesday, May 11th, from 6 to 9 p.m. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- See the latest pieces from Kate Boggiano during a trunk show at Florodora (330 S. Dearborn St.; 312-212-8860, florodora.com) on Friday, May 13th, from 12 to 6 p.m.
- Revision Home (2132 W. Fulton St.; 312-226-2221, revisionchicago.com) holds its next open-door warehouse sale with new finds for spring, photography by Erika Dufour, and more on Friday, May 13th, and Saturday, May 14th, from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Macy’s Water Tower Place (835 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-335-7700, macys.com) celebrates its grand re-opening on Friday, May 13th. The first 300 guests get a $10 store gift card; one lucky shopper will get a $500 gift card. In addition to free gifts with purchase throughout the cosmetics department, events include an informal modeling of Ellen Tracy’s Spring 2011 collection, and live performances from Peter Pan The Musical at 11:30 a.m. and Million Dollar Quartet at noon.