Within the past year, the Lake View locations of Kulhman Company and Jake shuttered, leaving Southport Avenue with few clothing and accessory options for men. Mel Nelson, owner of M2 Boutique (3527 N. Southport Ave., 773-248-9866; 121 S. Washington St., Naperville, 630-548-9955; mboutiquechicago.com), thinks that guys in the neighborhood still need a place to shop. Located next door to M2 Boutique, a handbags and accessories shop, M4Men (3525 N. Southport Ave.; 773-698-6407) recently opened to fill the void. “Just like M2, [M4Men is] affordable, [a store] where you know you’re going to get a good quality product and not spend a ton of money,” says Nelson, a 20-year veteran of the retail industry. You’ll find casual clothes—for example, an assortment of vintage Big Ten college T-shirts ($42) and three different cuts of Seven jeans (from $134)—and dressy options, including Calvin Klein button down shirts ($65) and ties ($49.50). In addition to clothing and accessories, the 500-square-feet shop features a television playing sports and lots of seating. “I want this to be a place where the guys can hang out while their women shop next door,” Nelson says. “They can just grab a stool . . . There is no pressure [to buy].” In celebration of Black Friday on November 27th, M4Men and the Lake View location of M2 open an hour early at 10 a.m. and offer 20 percent off everything black.
Top Sales This Week
The 900 Shops (900 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-915-3916, shop900.com) kicks off the season with “Holiday Fashion” week. Through Sunday, November 29th, enjoy deals at more than a dozen shops, such as a free gift with purchase from DNA 2050 and 25 percent off at Original Penguin. The mall’s holiday celebration features discounts at selected shops based on various themes through Sunday, December 20th. Additional incentives include a complimentary coat check and Santa on the third floor. Spend more than $50 Sundays through Thursdays from Sunday, November 22nd through Thursday, December 24th, and receive a $10 parking validation ticket. For a full listing of participating stores and their specials, visit shop900.com.
Chicago Premium Outlets (1650 Premium Outlets Blvd., Aurora; 630-585-2200, premiumoutlets.com/Chicago) kicks off its annual after-Thanksgiving weekend sale at midnight on Friday, November 27th. (A few stores, such as Armani Exchange, open at 9 p.m. on Thursday, November 26th.) For a complete list of stores and their discounts, which last through Sunday, November 29th, visit premiumoutlets.com.
Hosted by the Glen Ellyn Chamber of Commerce, The Glen Ellyn holiday walk runs Friday, November 27th from 6 to 9 p.m. Santa lights the tree on the corner of Main Street and Crescent Boulevard at 6 p.m. Enjoy decorations, carolers, snacks, and discounts at area boutiques, including up to 25 percent off at Arte Moderne (526 Crescent Blvd.; 630-790-3036, artemoderne.com). For a full list of activities and discounts, visit glenellynchamber.com.
The Best of the Rest
- Kimball & Bean Architectural and Garden Antiques (3606 S. Country Club Rd., Woodstock; 815-444-9000, kimballandbean.com) holds its 9th annual holiday open house with holiday decorations and trimmings Friday, November 27th through Sunday, November 29th.
- Get up to 40 percent off at le Dress (1741 W. Division St.; 773-697-9899, ledresschicago.com) on Friday, November 27th. The sale begins at 10 a.m. Also, purchase a $100 gift card and receive a free $25 gift.
- Sacred Art (4619 N. Lincoln Ave.; 773-728-2803, sacredartstore.com) opens early, 9 a.m., on Friday, November 27th. Starting at 30 percent off, discounts decrease every hour until 1 p.m.
- Buy one custom pant and receive half-off a matching custom shirt at Nicholas Joseph Custom Tailors (21 W. Elm St.; 654 W. Diversey Ave.; 70 W. Madison St.; 1351 S. Michigan Ave.; 312-895-1577, customsuitsyou.com) through Monday, November 30th.
- Blo Dri (408 N. Clark St.; 312-595-3000, blodri.com) offers complimentary martinis, makeup applications, and gifts to those who receive hair treatments on Wednesday, November 25th from 12 to 9 p.m. Call the salon to book an appointment.
- Pop a balloon to receive up to $25 off your purchase at Zola Jones Designs (1944 W. Montrose Ave.; 773-848-3257, zolajonesdesigns.com) on Friday, November 27th. Shoppers also receive free mimosas.
- Serpico (1514 N. Ashland Ave.; 773-252-5940, serpico-collection.com) holds its one-year anniversary sale on Black Friday, November 27th, with 50 percent off selected items from 1 to 6 p.m. The boutique is now open by appointment only; call Serpico at 773-252-5940 to visit.
- Save up to 50 percent off selected footwear and accessories and get an extra $20 off clearance footwear at House of Sole (1237 S. Michigan Ave.; 312-834-0909, houseofsole.net) Friday, November 27th through Sunday, November 29th.
- Habit (1951 W. Division St.; 773-342-0093, habitchicago.com) offers tax-free shopping on Friday, November 27th. Normally closed on Mondays, the shop will extend its hours from 12 to 5 p.m. through December 21st. For last-minute shopping, Habit will also be open Thursday, December 24th from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Men who register for Movember (movember.com), a prostate cancer awareness charity, receive complimentary moustache trims at Halo [For Men] (for locations, halochicago.com) through Monday, November 30th.
- The Golden Triangle (330 N. Clark St.; 312-755-1266, goldentriangle.biz) holiday market features silk scarves, pillow covers, jewelry, and more between $10 and $1,000. Now through December 31st.
- Now through December 31st, bring a bag of nonperishable food to White Chicago (222 W. Huron St.; 312-397-1571, whitechicago.com) and receive 25 percent off a Lori London custom veil. Donations go to the Greater Chicago Food Depository.
- Twinkle Twinkle Little One (3224 N. Damen Ave.; 773-472-3000, twinkletwinklelittleone.com) holds a sample sale with up to 70 percent off art, bedding, accessories, and furniture from Friday, November 27th to Sunday, November 29th. Cash only.
- Spertus members receive 20 percent off at the Spertus Shop (610 S. Michigan Ave.; 312-322-1740, spertus.edu) through Monday, November 30th. Spertus memberships start at $30; visit spertus.edu for more information.
- She Boutique (483 Central Ave., Highland Park; 847-926-0150, shopsheboutique.com) takes 20 to 50 percent off everything in the store, Friday, November 27th. The shop also holds an online version of the sale on November 30th, offering 30 percent off to shoppers who enter promo code ‘cybermonday’ at checkout. Both sales exclude SWORD jackets.
- Spend at least $100 at the Geneva Commons (602 Commons Drive, Geneva; 630-262-0044, shopgenevacommons.com) on Friday, November 27th and receive a free gift from Harry & David or Hallmark. Also, enjoy carriage rides, Santa, and the tree lighting at 5:30 p.m. Visit shopgenevacommons.com for details.
- ULTA on State Street (114 S. State St.; 312-279-5081, ulta.com) offers a professional make-up application and hair consultation with blow dry service for $50 from Friday, November 27th to December 31st. To schedule an appointment, call 312-279-5081.
- The Hinsdale Chamber of Commerce and the Village of Hinsdale host the annual Hinsdale Christmas Walk, featuring decorations, Santa, and shopping discounts, on Friday, November 27th from 4 to 8 p.m. Visit hinsdalechamber.com for more details.
Closings and Relocations
Bess & Loie (1015 W. Lake St.; 312-226-2247, bessandloie.com) celebrates its final day with a “Black Friday flea” on November 27th. Take 50 to 90 percent off all remaining merchandise; pay cash to receive even more savings. The store closes its doors for good at 7 p.m.
Willow (shopwillow.net) closed its brick and mortar location this past April, but the former Ukrainian Village home-accessories store offers a “pop-up” shop at 850 North Damen Avenue (773-772-0140) through January 31st. Take 15 percent off everything except clearance and vintage items on Friday, November 27th.