As a mother of three, Ellen Sternweiler knows how difficult shopping can be at each stage of pregnancy. Like any expecting mother, she searched for items that kept her changing body comfortable from season to season. “I got really tired of having to buy clothes that I’d never be able to wear again,” she reflects. “I wanted to find something that wore well and made me feel good.” Her frustration with the lack of options eventually led her to open Bellybum Boutique (4347 N. Lincoln Ave.; 773-868-0944, bellybumboutique.com) in February 2009. “We cater to before, during, after—and even after a pregnancy,” says Sternweiler. “Some women who have never had kids shop here.” Popular fall items include ISDA white cotton tunics ($136), Mystree olive green zip hoodies ($98), MINS tie-front sweaters in oatmeal ($146), and XCVI yoga top trousers ($72). The shop also offers a wide selection of parent and baby gear, a lot of which is made by work-at-home moms. You’ll find one of the city’s largest assortment of cloth diapers—from Indian cotton prefolds ($1.50 each) to Piddle Poddles ($37 each)—as well as Storksak brown leather unisex diaper bags ($228) and the locally produced Peek-A-Belly onesies ($30). Bellybum holds a variety of rotating pregnancy and parenting workshops every week; for the schedule of classes and events, visit bellybumboutique.com.
Top Sales This Week
His Stuff (hisstuffchicago.com) holds 7 Diamonds and Report Collection trunk sales Saturday, November 14th from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. at its Lake View location (3162 N. Broadway; 773-281-6111) and Sunday, November 15th from 12 to 5 p.m. at its Andersonville location (5314 N. Clark St.; 773-989-9111). Shoppers receive 15 percent off purchases from each collection at both events.
Chicago magazine readers get 25 percent off any purchase at Chic Gems (888-801-8265, chicgemsetc.com) through Monday, November 30th. Enter promo code ‘CHICAGOMAG’ at online checkout or mention the magazine during phone orders to receive discount.
Halo [For Men] Gold Coast (21 W. Elm St.; 312-642-4256, halochicago.com) offers its signature spa services, such as pumpkin facials and cinnamon aromatherapy massages, for $29 through Saturday, November 21st. Guests also receive free “hot toddy” cocktails.
The Best of the Rest
- Under the Wire (2210 S. Halsted St.; 312-733-9350, underthewire.biz) hosts its 13-14-15 sale where all handmade art costs $15 or less from Friday, November 13th through Sunday, November 15th.
- The male counterpart of M2 Boutique (3527 N. Southport Ave., 773-248-9866; 121 S. Washington St., Naperville, 630-548-9955; mboutiquechicago.com), M4Men (3525 N. Southport Ave.; 773-698-6407) opens next door to the Lake View shop this week. Find mens’ watches, belts, ties, hats, jeans, dress shirts, and more.
- Kenneth Cole (540 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-644-1163, kennethcole.com) debuts its 925 shoe collection, Thursday, November 12th from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. The event includes appetizers, and wine. To RSVP, call 773-661-0700.
- The next session of Fashion Focus Chicago’s Fashion Café Series features local designers of men’s clothing, shoes, and accessories, such as Cory Allen and Kwabena Klassics, on Thursday, November 12th from 5 to 8 p.m. at Randolph Café in the Chicago Cultural Center (77 E. Randolph St.). For more information on the series, visit chicagofashionresource.com.
- Annie O (324 N. Leavitt St., #200; 312-421-8676, annieo.net) holds its bi-annual sample sale with Feisty Kitten on Thursday, November 19th from 12 to 8 p.m. The event features at least 20 percent off items for men and women as well as a $10-and-under section. Cash only.
- Take 10 percent off everything at Randoons (962 ½ Green Bay Rd., Winnetka; 847-784-1890, randoons.com) during its annual holiday event on Thursday, November 12th from 4 to 8 p.m.
- Marisa Swystun Studio (535 N. Marshfield Ave.; 312-850-3225, marisaswystun.com) features current and upcoming collections as well as free cocktails, Thursday, November 12th from 6 to 9 p.m. RSVP to email@example.com by Tuesday, November 10th.
- Save 40 percent on your next purchase at Evil Kitty (1564 N. Damen Ave., 3rd floor; 312-560-8066, evilkitty.net) through Sunday, November 15th. Spend more than $100 and receive free shipping. Use code ‘PURR40’ at online checkout to receive discount. Call 312-560-8066 for an appointment.
- Greenheart Shop (1911 W. Division St.; 312-264-1625, greenheartshop.org) holds a Concern America craft trunk show with complimentary fair trade wine, Wednesday, November 11th from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
- Take 10 percent off everything at Hot Mama (shopmama.com) during the grand opening of its fifth Chicagoland location (1958 Randall Rd., Algonquin; 847-458-8900) from Wednesday, November 11th through Sunday, November 15th.
- Jake (939 N. Rush St.; 312-664-5553, shopjake.com) hosts ELTIF Designs jewelry trunk show, featuring the new Hamsa Collection, Wednesday, November 11th from 6 to 8 p.m.
- Buy gently used designer purses during the annual handbag sale at Brown Elephant Resale Shop (3651 N. Halsted St.; 773-549-5943) on Saturday, November 14th, starting at 11 a.m. Proceeds benefit the Howard Brown Health Center (howardbrown.org).
- Leslie Hindman Auctioneers (1338 W. Lake St.; 312-280-1212, lesliehindman.com) holds a vintage couture and accessories auction on Sunday, November 15th at 12 p.m. Previews are on Thursday, November 12th from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Friday, November 13th from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; and Saturday, November 14th from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Eve J. Alfillé Gallery & Studio (623 Grove St., Evanston; 847-869-7920, evejewelry.com) holds an opening party for its Raining at Rosehill collection on Saturday, November 14th from 3:30 to 8:30 p.m.
- Purchase two Eugenia Kim hats during her trunk show at p.45 (1643 N. Damen Ave.; 773-862-4523, p45.com) on Saturday, November 14th from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., and receive a free accessory. Guests may also enter to win a raffle prize.
- Hursts’ Berwyn Jewelers (6418 W. Cermak Rd., Berwyn; 708-788-0880, hurstsdiamondjewelers.com) holds a Magick trunk show Friday, November 13th and Saturday, November 14th. Attendees may also meet the artist, Falcher Fusager, both days.
- Home Owners Bargain Outlet (hoboonline.com), a discount home improvement shop, recently opened its fifth Chicagoland location (8716 S. Cicero Ave., Oak Lawn; 708-423-4656).
- Barneys New York (15 E. Oak St.; 312-587-1700, barneys.com) introduces its exclusive Barton Perreira eyewear collection by filmmaker Albert Maysles on Saturday, November 14th from 2 to 4 p.m. Maysles is scheduled to attend the event.
Closings and Relocations
Closing at the end of November, Bess & Loie (1015 W. Lake St.; 312-226-2247, bessandloie.com) holds its final party on Thursday, November 12th from 5 to 9 p.m. The shop, which now offers up to 90 percent off everything in the store, also holds a Trio Creations holiday trunk show on Wednesday, November 11th from 5 to 9 p.m. After closing, Bess & Loie plans to open pop-up shops within various Chicagoland boutiques, such as Erin Gallagher (2034 N. Halsted St.; 312-492-7548, eringallagher.com).
Yolanda Lorente (900 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-867-0900, yolandalorente.com) moves to a bigger space in the 900 Shops. The new, fourth floor boutique features more clothing and accessory collections as well as a VIP lounge.