New Space, New Goods
Merz Apothecary (4716 N. Lincoln Ave.; 773-989-0900, merzapothecary.com, smallflower.com) celebrates its 135th year by opening a storefront level shop at the Palmer House at 17 East Monroe Street (312-781-6900), taking the place of the boutique’s seven-year residency at Macy’s State Street. “We’re now a destination rather than something you discover while on the way to something else,” says Anthony Qaiyum, the shop’s owner. Now a few blocks away from the former space, the new Merz offers items previously unavailable through the department store, such as L’Artisan Parfumeur, a perfume line from Paris ($135 to $155). The new store also carries an expanded selection of Santa Maria Novella, an exclusive personal care line. “We’re about to be the third retailer to carry Santa Maria Novella [online] in the U.S.,” Qaiyum says. “We’ve been lobbying for it for about seven years!” But even with the new inventory, the shop’s central theme remains the same: “Everything we do has to be natural and or unique and solve something for people,” says Qaiyum. Additional Merz finds include handmade soaps from India (three bars and one gift box, $14.50) and Italy ($64), refillable atomizers ($12), bubble bath by Olivina ($35 for 16 ounces), Beard Lube 10th anniversary shave cream by Jack Black ($60 for 33 ounces), and high-end men’s shave sets (from $100 to $360).
Top Sales This Week
Bartlett Hills Golf Club (800 W. Oneida Ave., Bartlett; 630-837-2741, bartletthills.com) holds its second annual girls night out with more than 30 vendors, a fashion show, a wine and cheese tasting, hors d’oeuvres, music, raffle, and goodie bags on Thursday, November 18th, from 6 to 10 p.m. Each guest receives one free raffle ticket; you can get an additional raffle ticket for each donated canned or dry good item. Tickets are $15 in advance or $20 at the door.
Enjoy free hors d’oeuvres and 50 percent off Objets d’Envy (773-525-1047, objetsdenvy.com) at Province Restaurant (161 N. Jefferson St.; 312-669-9900, provincerestaurant.com) Wednesday, November 17th, from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Guests also receive a free cocktail with any jewelry purchase. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Best of the Rest
- Be.ology (3376 Commercial Ave., Northbook; 847-272-3571, beologyonline.com) holds its annual warehouse sale Thursday, November 18th, from 12 to 9 p.m.; and Friday, November 19th, and Saturday, November 20th, from 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Those who can’t attend in person can still save 25 percent on all purchases at beologyonline.com through Sunday, November 21st; use promo code “beNEAR” to receive discount.
- Take $40 off any $100 purchase at Chic Gems (888-801-8265; chicgemsetc.com) through Friday, November 19th; use code “CHICAGOMAG40” at checkout to receive discount.
- The Denim Lounge (2004 W. Roscoe St.; 773-935-2820, thedenimlounge.com) holds a Henry & Belle’s launch party on Wednesday, November 17th, from 4:30 to 8:30 p.m. Donate $20 to the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (jdrf.org) and Association House (associationhouse.org), and get 20 percent off Henry & Belle jeans as well as 10 percent off all shirts; guests also receive free gift with any Henry & Belle purchase.
- Enjoy wine and cheese at Mali Jewelry (204 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-263-0326, malijewelry.com) on Friday, November 19th, from 5 to 9 p.m.; 25 percent off event proceeds go to YWCA-Chicago. Also this month, take 30 percent off online merchandise at malijewelry.com through Tuesday, November 30th; enter code “30” at checkout to receive discount.
- Ellie Thompson (8 S. Michigan Ave.; 312-263-2264, ellieco.com) launches her latest collection, Theorem, with wine, hors d’oeuvres, and 10 percent off all in-stock merchandise on Friday, November 19th, from 5 to 8 p.m. RSVP to email@example.com.
- For its one-year anniversary, M4Men (3525 N. Southport Ave.; 773-698-6407) takes up to 40 percent off merchandise and offers free gifts, drinks, snacks, and giveaways on Saturday, November 20th.
- NoteworthyNotes (3629 N. Halsted St.; 773-661-1333, noteworthynotes.com) celebrates ten years with up to 40 percent off Thursday, November 18th, to Saturday, November 20th. The shop also features a cocktail reception on Thursday, November 18th, from 5:30 to 7 p.m.
- Save 10 percent on Anne Sportun Experimetal Jewellery at Virtu (2034 N. Damen Ave.; 773-235-3790, virtuchicago.com) Friday, November 19th through Sunday, November 21st.
- Annie O (324 N. Leavitt St., second floor; 312-421-8676, annieo.net) holds its fall/winter sample sale with Feisty Kitten on Thursday, November 18th, from 12 to 8 p.m. The event features at least 20 percent off accessories for women as well as a $10-and-under section. Cash only.
- Find textiles, jewelry, and objects from around the world during the Bizarre Bazaar at Robin Richman (2108 N. Damen Ave.; 773-278-6150, robinrichman.com) on Tuesday, November 16th, and Wednesday, November 17th, from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- The School of the Art Institute of Chicago (112 S. Michigan Ave.; 312-629-6880, saic.edu) holds its annual holiday art sale with paintings, sculptures, jewelry, fashion, and photography on Friday, November 19th, from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m., and Saturday, November 20th, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Find antiques, jewelry, fashion, and housewares from more than 70 vendors at the 4th annual Randolph Street Holiday Market (312-666-1200, randolphstreetmarket.com) on Saturday, November 20th, and Sunday, November 21st, at Beaux Arts Plumbers Hall (1340 W. Washington St.). The market includes free parking and gift wrapping, and a dog adoption event. Tickets—$10 at the gate or $8 online at randolphstreetmarket.com—are good for both days; each ticket includes a $10 shopping voucher that can be used with any $50 purchase.
- Chicago Craft Mafia (chicagocraftmafia.com) hosts its 8th annual DIY trunk show with more than 100 local artisans of stationery, jewelry, housewares, body care products, and accessories on Saturday, November 20th, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Pulaski Park Fieldhouse (1419 W. Blackhawk St.; 312-742-7559)