While growing up in Winnetka, sisters Jennifer and Maggie Gelber always joked about opening a boutique together in Chicago. “It wasn’t a serious plan. We’d just say, ‘Yeah, one day we’ll open a boutique.’ We came up with names [for the shop] and talked about designing clothes,” Maggie says. But the plan became real after Maggie graduated from the University of Iowa in May 2008 and, shortly after attending trade shows in New York earlier this year, the two decided to launch their shop as soon as possible. “On the flight, we were like, ‘Let’s do this now,” Jennifer recalls. “We came back, quit our jobs, and got the ball rolling.” Within six months, the sisters opened Fix (1101 W. Fulton Market; 312-226-4565, shopfixchicago.com) in Fulton Market, a clothing boutique for men and women. “We’re very conscious of Chicago weather and the Chicago style,” Maggie says. “We (have) styles that you won’t find everywhere, that maybe are a little bit different and out there, but they’re practical and easy-to-wear.” The boutique features exclusives, such as Generra and Genetic Denim for both sexes and Aether coats for men. You’ll also find Robert Rodriguez beaded silky tanks in neon yellow ($311), Elizabeth & James black blazers ($444), and Corpus cable-knit cardigans for women; for men, you’ll find Hickey for Hickey Freeman multi-gingham two-pocket shirts in royal blue ($245) and Rogues Gallery vintage tees in various styles and colors ($88). The Gelbers offer frequent visitors access to a VIP lounge in the basement, which includes a wet bar, couch, chair, and dressing room. In celebration of fall, Fix offers 15 percent off any green- or plum colored styles through Saturday, October 24th. The boutique also participates in the Fulton Market fall open house, Saturday, October 24th from 12 to 5 p.m. For more information, visit explorefultonmarket.com.
Top Sales This Week
Fashion Focus Chicago returns Thursday, October 22nd through Sunday, October 25th. The four-day event features the newest styles from Chicago’s big-name and up-and-coming designers, fashion shows, shopping incentives, and fashion tutorials around the city. For tickets, reservations, and the full schedule, visit chicagofashionresource.com.
The Field Museum (1400 S. Lake Shore Drive; 312-922-9410, fieldmuseum.org) launches its Nature of Diamonds exhibit on Friday, October 23rd. The exhibit features almost 800 items, featuring gems and pieces from Cartier and the Tiffany & Co. archive. It runs through March 28, 2010.
Pretty in Pilsen (prettyinpilsen.com) features fashions and discounts from local designers as well as wine and snacks at Kate Boggiano (kateboggiano.com) and Crescendo Apparel (2150 S. Canalport Ave., 3rd floor; 888-215-0270, crescendoapparel.com) on Tuesday, October 20th from 6 to 9 p.m. Additional participants include Objets d’Envy (objetsdenvy.com) and Rachel Yeomans from The Working Wardrobe (theworkingwardrobe.com). For more information and details on discounts, visit prettyinpilsen.com. RSVP to email@example.com.
The Best of the Rest
- Hubba-Hubba (3309 N. Clark St.; 773-477-1414, hubbahubbachicago.com) celebrates 21 years this month. All shoppers get a free gift with purchase; those who spend $75 receive a $21 discount. Hubba-Hubba also hosts a Red Engine Jeans trunk show with complimentary fittings and a denim raffle, October 23rd through 25th.
- Enjoy Julia Failey’s jewelry, cupcakes, and wine at Grasshopper 510 (1944 N. Damen Ave.; 773-292-0510, grasshopper510.com) Saturday, October 24th from 12 to 4 p.m. Guests receive 20 percent off Failey’s rings, earrings, necklaces, and bracelets.
- His Stuff (5314 N. Clark St., 773-989-9111; 3162 N. Broadway, 773-281-6111; hisstuffchicago.com) celebrates seven years through Sunday, October 25th. Those signed up for His Stuff rewards earn 10 percent back, instead of the usual 5 percent, on purchases throughout the week.
- Celebrate the new Elise Bergman Studio at Roslyn (2035 N. Damen Ave.; 773-489-1311, roslynboutique.com) with cocktails, tea, snacks, music, and a fashion preview on Saturday, October 24th from 2 to 4 p.m. The new shop-within-a-shop carries the local designer’s collection of dresses, accessories, pillow sets, and more. Spend more than $250 and receive a silk-screened reusable tote bag. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org. All shoppers receive a goodie bag with purchase.
- Material Possessions (materialpossessions.com) holds a Susan Blake trunk show at its Winnetka location (954 Green Bay Rd., Winnetka; 847-446-8840) on Wednesday, October 21st and its Chicago location (704 N. Wabash Ave.; 312-280-4885) on Thursday, October 22nd. The designer, Susan Novogrodzki, will be at both events.
- The “ultimate witchfest party” at Trousseau Lingerie and Swim (3543 N. Southport Ave.; 773-472-2727) features music, raffles, drinks, and prizes on Thursday, October 22nd from 5 to 8 p.m. Guests who have an October birthday receive 25 percent off their purchases; other guests get 10 percent off.
- Building Blocks Toy Store celebrates one year at its Wicker Park location (2130 W. Division St.; 773-235-1888) with 20 percent off everything, Friday, October 23rd through Sunday, October 25th.
- A new 18,295-square-foot Victoria’s Secret (victoriassecret.com) opens at 734 North Michigan Avenue on Thursday, October 22st.
- MOSS Modern Flowers (7405 W. Madison St., Forest Park;708-366-8780) holds a Bryn Reese (brynreesefinechina.com) trunk show, featuring the designer’s new Asian modern collection of fine china, on Saturday, October 24th from 1 to 3 p.m. The event also includes MOSS antiques and textiles and a wine sampling.
- Get 50 percent off lenses and 25 percent off frames during Macy’s (111 N. State St., 9th floor; 312-781-1000, macys.com) 11th annual designer eyewear trunk show Wednesday, October 21st through Saturday, October 24th during store hours. The event includes designs from Kate Spade, Coach, Dolce & Gabbana. Call 312-781-3573 to book an eye exam before the trunk show.
- Prettycity (prettycity.com) hosts its 3rd annual beauty sample sale Wednesday, October 21st at District Bar (170 W. Ontario St.). Tickets, $10, are available at prettycity.com. 21 or older.
- Art Wear Unlimited (847-432-9229, artwearunlimited.com) holds its art-to-wear presentation with clothing, jewelry, scarves, and more on Wednesday, October 21st from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m., and Thursday, October 22nd and Friday, October 23rd from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., at the Highland Park Country Club (1201 Park Avenue West, Highland Park).
Closings and Relocations
Formerly located at 33½ West Jefferson Avenue, Twist Boutique (630-548-4445) has moved to 206 South Washington Street in downtown Naperville.