Top Sale this Week
Any event billed as once-in-a-lifetime had better deliver, and the upcoming Grateful Dead Family Jubilee Auction looks like it will stand up to the hype. Over 700 items of rare Grateful Dead memorabilia will be up for auction on April 11 and 12, ranging from $50 to $500,000, so that Deadheads of all income levels can participate. Expect to find everything from Jerry Garcia’s harmonica to hand-written lyrics to posters and t-shirts, plus Garcia’s Screen Actor’s Guild card, which is expected to go for $10,000.
Intrigued? You’ll want to stop by the preview event (open to the public) on April 8, where you can get a sneak peak at the memorabilia for $25 and decide if you want to bid online. The preview and auction will take place at Donley Auction House (8512 S Union Rd., Union, gratefuldeadauction.com). It’s about an hour’s trek from the city, but Deadheads have a reputation for being road warriors.
The Best of the Rest
- A hybrid pop-up expo/fashion show called Modern Day Threads (Redmoon Theater, 2120 S. Jefferson St., jinspiredevents.com) happens Saturday at 5 p.m. The event will showcase design and artistry, and there will be speakers and an after-party. Tickets are available on Eventbrite, starting at $45.
- Wide-legged ’70s-inspired jeans are back in a major way, so stop by the 7 For All Mankind outlet (1650 Premium Outlets Blvd., Aurora, premiumoutlets.com) to stock up on the perfect pair. Now through April 7, the entire store is 40 percent off.
- In your rush to wear sandals now that it’s warming up outside, don’t forget about those boots. They still want to be your friend, and they look great with springy dresses. At the Nine West outlet, (1650 Premium Outlets Blvd., Aurora, premiumoutlets.com), boots and booties are now buy one get one 50 percent off.
- If you think “spring cleaning” is a dirty phrase, Green Home Experts (811 South Blvd., Oak Park, ghexperts.com) wants to sweeten the concept by offering 15 percent off all cleaning supplies this Friday.
- Tonight from 6 to 8 p.m., Comfort Me Boutique (701 W. Armitage Ave., comfortmeboutique.com) throws a GiGi New York trunk show, offering free personalization. Add two or three initials to your lovely new bag: We recommend F-A-B.
- Macy’s (111 N. State St., macys.com) is throwing its annual spring flower show, now through Saturday. An Urban Beekeeping Seminar? Cooking demonstrations? Terrarium classes? Floral design tips? They’ve got it all. Check out the events at macys.com/flowershow.