The Best of the Rest
- Knitters and crafters: The Chicago Yarn Crawl (chicagoyarncrawl.com) starts this weekend; and yes, fiber enthusiasts, this is a real thing. Now in its fifth year, the crawl is a weeklong event running from August 2 through 10, with 28 participating stores in the city and suburbs offering discounts and raffle prizes. Sifu Design Studio (6054 N. Broadway, 773-271-7438, sifudesignstudio.com) in Edgewater, for example, offers 25 percent off all yarns and tools on Saturday, plus grab bags (for the first 50 shoppers) and free refreshments.
- Wicker Park men’s and women’s boutique Penelope’s (1913 W. Division St., 773-395-2351, shoppenelopes.com) is in the midst of a summer sale. Shop in-store or online for 25 to 65 percent off brands like Brooklyn Tailors, Sessun, and A.P.C.
- Tonight through August 7, Bucktown clothing boutique Robin Richman (2108 N. Damen Ave.) hosts a global market called Fabric, Findings & Food. The bazaar features textiles by designer Lynda O’Connor and fabrics from the Roscoe Village design studio Workroom Couture Home. Tonight’s opening (5 to 9 p.m.), will also include vintage Indian textiles and trinkets by Fatima Mohiuddin, plus craft cocktails and nibbles.
- Through August 3, Casual Friday (casualfridayshop.com) showcases its line of tees and tanks printed with phrases like “Shut the front Dior” and “Wirkin for a Birkin” at Gold Coast boutique Sofia (100 E. Walton St., 312-640-0878, sofialivelovely.com) and Block 37’s Lollashop (108 State St., store.lollapalooza.com).
- Luxury home décor and gift store Kneen & Co. (399 W. Fullerton Pkwy., Suite 1E, 773-880-842, kneenandco.com) holds a sample sale this week, offering discounts of up to 50 percent. The Chicago-based store carries designers including Nymphenburg, Lobmeyr, and Hermes, which rarely go on sale.
- Canadian furniture brand Gus* Modern (gusmodern.com) hosts a sale on sofas, sectionals, chairs, ottomans, and beds through August 17. All regular-priced upholstered products are 20 percent off through August 17. The Canadian furniture brand doesn’t have a standalone Chicago shop, but local retailers ID Chicago, Stitch, Eurofurniture, and Cassona are all participating in the sale.