Top Sale This Week
Chicago’s very own Akira throws their 12th-annual fall fashion show on Sunday at Grossinger City Autoplex (1500 N. Dayton St.). Get there at 4 p.m. to eat, drink, and mingle before the models show up, and you’ll find glamorous small bites from restaurants including Strings Ramen Shop, Whisk, and Umami Burger; a breakdancing performance by Brickheadz; performance art and live painting; and plenty of shoppable fashion. Once the show begins at 7 p.m., look out for a celebrity appearance by James Maslow (Big Time Rush and Dancing with the Stars).
A general admission ticket is $25, and a part of the proceeds go to PAWS Chicago. Still feeling it after the models leave the runway? There’s an afterparty at Japonais starting at 9 p.m., and an after-after party at the Underground, which kicks off thirty minutes after midnight.
The Best of the Rest
- All weekend, The Red Balloon (653 W. Armitage Ave., theredballoon.com) throws a fall warehouse sale, where you can stock up on past-season releases from kids’ brands such as Little Traveler, La Miniatura, Stella, Egg, and Charlie Rocket.
- Second Time Around (secondtimearound.net for locations) is feeling charitable this month, so every Wednesday from 12 to 3 p.m., all their locations will provide light refreshments and donate 10 percent of your purchase to the American Cancer Society’s Look Good Feel Better program.
- Snazzy gentlemen who want to appear snazzier should stop by any Haberdash (haberdashmen.com for locations) store from now until Monday for the “How to Purchase a Suit” event, held in partnership with GQ. All full-priced off-the-rack and made-to-measure clothing purchases will include complimentary standard tailoring by Peter Field Fine Tailoring, along with plenty of discounts: 15 percent off one piece, 20 percent off two pieces, and 25 percent off three or more.
- Today through Sunday, Lincoln Park’s Comfort Me Boutique (701 W. Armitage Ave., comfortmeboutique.com) hosts a trunk show featuring Chicago-based label Buckley K. These are clothes designed for the “wayfaring woman”; if that’s you, stop by to sip champagne, chat with the designers, and dream of European getaways.
- Bad hair day? Blowtique’s second location opens tomorrow at the Shops at North Bridge (520 N. Michigan Ave.). Blowouts at this location will be a flat $40, so stop by and fix your hair situation before those big Friday night plans.
- Get outside at the 4th annual West Town Art Walk tomorrow and Saturday. Stroll down Chicago Avenue from Milwaukee Avenue to Western Avenue to experience the neighborhood’s art in all forms: visual, performance, culinary, music, and, of course, fashion.
- Is there anything better than fall footwear? The weather is crisp enough for loafers and riding boots and you don’t have to worry about wading through icy, salty slush and ruining everything. Stop by City Soles (1566 N. Damen Ave., citysoles.com) today and tomorrow for their “Fabulous Fall Flash Sale,” where they’ll put new shoes on sale every day from 3 to 6 p.m.